Friday, March 31, 2006

Springtime lunch walk around Nashville's Bicentennial Mall

This week reminded me what a delight it is to live in Middle Tennessee during the spring and to work downtown in such a beautiful city as Nashville.
















I took my camera along on a walk around the Bicentennial Mall during lunch the other day.













Looked at the granite plaques celebrating Tennessee's land shapes,
















Musical roots,
















nature,
















landscape,

















the first Tennesseans,
















trails,
















geology
















and rivers
















as well as a huge walking map of the state
















Walked by the amphitheater
















enjoyed the redbuds in flower
















and another tree whose buds are red,
















but turn white upon opening
















like this.
















I walked farther along the mall
















approaching the carillon
















that plays "The Tennessee Waltz" every hour on the hour
















which you can enjoy in 360-degree stereo
















got an interesting angle on one of the towers
















and another
















then started back the other direction toward the capitol (on the hill in the distance)
















got a little closer
















down the sidewalk





















then as I approached a stand of redbud trees
















stopped to admire some tiny red berries on a bush
















and got a closer look














and enjoyed a view of the redbuds against the blue sky
















then observed the state flags against the same blue sky






















before returning to work, where a large magnolia tree spreads its branches.

4 comments:

Wrkinprogress said...

Babe, thank you for taking me on this walk with you. I love that part of downtown, and you really brought it "home" for me (since I'm reading this at home!!!) I love the way you've begun illustrating your blog -- makes it all the more interesting to read and enjoy.

I love you, precious, intelligent, talented man.

WIP

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are great! I will have to check that all out next time I am in Nashville.

Anonymous said...

Did you stand right in the middle of the circle of bells? There is a metal rod, driven into the ground, right where the 3 stars meet. When you stand exactly on this metal rod spot, I found that sound resonates in a very interesting way. Did you notice this?
I grew up in Nashville, in the 1940's, 50's, and 60's - I come back when I can.

Runawayimagination said...

Dear R from Nashville,

I've stood right in the middle of the cirle of bells and enjoyed the 360-degree sound, but never noticed the metal rod in the center. I'll have to make a point of noticing it the next time I take a walk through Bicentennial Mall.

I'm a relative newcomer to Nashville, having moved here in 1998. I'll bet you've witnessed quite a few changes since you grew up here decades ago. I saw the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia grow from a close-in bedroom community into an urban highrise jungle.

I believe Nashville will one day grow into a metropolis similar to Atlanta, along with all the typical big-city headaches. I'm enjoying living in Music City right now in what seems to me like a golden age, where we get the benefits of a big city without all the problems.

I return from time to time to my native Northern VA, but it doesn't seem like home anymore. Nashville is my new hometown.