Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Work triumph

Today I presented a summary of a major accomplishment at work that I've been preparing for over a year. It will help everyone in our agency, and it's something I invented myself. No one asked me to do it; I just undertook the work on my own and created a search and reference tool for everyone. I love doing things like this. Although they may me garner some measure of professional respect, there's no possibility of a promotion or raise, because I work in state government. It's completely altruistic - a little like donating blood (I've donated over 18 gallons to the Red Cross in my lifetime).

What makes work worthwhile?
Is it the monetary reward?
Is it the companionship?
Is it doing what you're told?
Is it the respect?

After more than 34 years in the work force, those memories I cherish most are of the projects in which I was able to completely invest myself. The things that have given me the most pleasure are those that I was able to undertake on my own initiative, or at least provide significant creative input. Very few of my work colleagues from former jobs have kept up with me, and the money I've earned has gone to pay my bills. Doing what I'm told only keeps me out of trouble. Respect is nice, but you can't spend it.

My creative impulse keeps me going.
It keeps me interested.
I need a challenge,
something that other people can't do,
something into which I can pour my heart and soul.

If you're reading this blog, you obviously know that I need a creative outlet.

Now that I'm done, I feel like goofing off the rest of the day.

After work I leave for a rehearsal with three singer-songwriters whom I am accompanying at a gig on Feb. 16th. I hope it doesn't go very late, because I badly need to love my sweet wife who will be awaiting my arrival with open arms.

2 comments:

Wrkinprogress said...

You are an amazingly gifted writer. Your wife is the luckiest woman on earth. I bet she knows that, too. :)

Runawayimagination said...

And her husband is the luckiest man on earth.