Wednesday, April 19, 2006

When a Man Loves a Woman

This morning when I started my Yahoo Launch Internet radio,
the first song it played was "When a Man Loves a Woman," by Percy Sledge.

When a man loves a woman
Can't keep his mind on nothing else
He'll trade the world
For the good thing he's found
If she's bad he can't see it
She can do no wrong
Turn his back on his best friend
If he put her down

When a man loves a woman
Spend his very last dime
Tryin' to hold on to what he needs
He'd give up all his comfort
Sleep out in the rain
If she said that's the way it ought to be

Well, this man loves a woman
I gave you everything I had
Tryin' to hold on to your precious love...

That song played in my head the day my wife Nancy died of leukemia,
April 28, 2003.

The third anniversary of her passing will occur in nine days.
She had just turned 51 on April 17.

That song played in my head
because I loved her so
that I would do anything,
and did everything
and anything
for her.

But nothing I could do
would stay the hand of Death
as it touched her shoulder.
I felt its icy breath,
but was not afraid.
and neither was she.

And now a new day dawns.
I have met a new love,
and I love her
with all my heart
and all my soul.

When a man loves a woman...

No comments: