Sunday, January 14, 2007

Lunchtime walk around Nashville's Bicentennial Park 1-12-07

Friday was cloudy an unremarkable in every respect except for the unseasonably warm temperature for mid-January. My previous post about Sulpher Dell was drawn from the same lunchtime walk, but my imagination ran away with me (as is its wont - see my screen name). After much research I ended up devoting an entire post to the historic ballpark that once occupied this site. And so here are the other pictures I took on that 20-minute walk. (Have I mentioned lately that I love working in downtown Nashville?)

I set my camera down on the sidewalk to get an ant's-eye view looking up toward the state Capitol, which you can see on the hilltop in the distance.


Here's a standing-up perspective. This is what a normal person would see - not that I'm at all "normal." I always search for the unexplored perspective.


This little tree has been fooled into thinking it's spring. You can see the Captol building again through the branches.


Its buds are opening,


and we wondered what will happen to it when/if we get a hard freeze.


Then we spied a vine that had wrapped itself around a bush and opened its seed pods to spread its next generation. I love the way it looks windblown, even though the atmosphere was completely calm.


Underneath the bush we saw where a mockingbird appears to have met its demise.


On the way back to the office we passed some new condos for sale where an old vegetable distribution warehouse had stood until a few months ago. Can you imagine paying $300 thousand dollars to live in a two-story townhouse within a block of the railroad tracks?


Here's a perspective looking back at the condos from the other side of the tracks. A train was passing at the time.

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

I enjoyed the photos and commentary. We lived a block from a busy railroad tracks for several years. After a while, you don't even notice the noise.